Thomas John Monogue, c1904

        Thomas Henry Minogue was the oldest son of Mathew Minogue and Ann Carter Minogue. He was born on the 23rd of March, 1869, in an Army barracks in Quebec (which we believe to be in Quebec City) while his father, Mathew was stationed there as a member of the Royal Canadian Rifles. Mathew was discharged from the Army in 1871 and the family lived in Hamilton for a few years before they moved permanently to London, Ontario about 1875. Thomas would have been six at the time. Not much is known about Thomas' childhood until he is mentioned in the City Directory of London working as a printer (age 17) and living with his parents at 529 Quebec Street. There is an earlier entry in 1884, stating that Mathew Jr. was working for the Grand Trunk Railway as a laborer. However, I believe this is a name error and the entry should have been for Thomas as Mathew Jr. died as an infant. Thomas would have been 15 and would have been working at the same railroad job as his father. It appears that he did not care for the heavy manual labor and decided to try the printing business and later the tailoring trade. He began to learn tailoring in 1887 by working for R. Boyd and sons in London. His sister, Annie, later joined him in this field of work.

Thomas Henry Minogue, c1893

    On Tuesday, February 6th, 1894, Thomas was married by Father M. J. Tiernan to Mary Ann Gibbons in St. Peter's Catholic Church. The witnesses were Terence King and Minnie O'Dwyer. These must have been friends of the couple as I do not recognize them as relatives. Tom was 24 and Mary Ann 25.

         Mary Ann was the daughter of Elizabeth O'Callaghan and John Gibbons and was born in Goldstone, Ontario, a small town in Wellington County on August 4th, 1868. She was baptized on September 9th in Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Ingersoll. The godparents were Francis Stuart and Mary Sibbald. As a child, she lived in Goldstone, Fergus Village in Oxford County (not to be confused with Fergus in Wellington County), and in Peel Township in Wellington County. Her father, John Gibbons, was an innkeeper, store owner and postmaster in these different towns. Mary Ann was the oldest of three children; she had a brother, John, who was 6 years younger, and a sister, Lizzie, who was 9 years younger. When she was only 14, her father died of tuberculosis. Mary Ann was mentioned her father's will, stating that "the organ" was not part of his estate and that it belonged to her. It appears she had an early interest in music. Following John Gibbons' death, the store in Peel was sold and the family moved to London. It is not known why they picked London, instead of Ingersoll, where most of the O'Callaghan's were living. Her mother, Elizabeth remarried five years later to a Patrick Quigley in London and it was here that Mary Ann met Tom, her future husband. The Quigley and Minogue families lived within a mile or two of each other in the 1890's. Tom Monogue on Quebec Street and Mary Ann Gibbons on Grey Street, both in East London.

        Within a year of the Tom and Mary Ann’s marriage, Kathleen, the first of six children was born (19 Jan 1895).  The family was living at 910 Lorne Ave., a block from Tom's boyhood home on Quebec Street.  Eighteen months later (15 June 1896), a second daughter, Madeline Ann is born.  It's not clear as to whether there were financial problems at this time, but the family is now living at 469 Grey Street, which is the address of Mary Ann's mother.  This is around the time that Tom's father, Mathew returned to Ireland to enter the Old Soldiers Home.  It must have been a difficult time having to say goodbye, knowing they would not see each other again.  It may be that Tom and Mary moved into the house while Mathew and Ann went to Ireland.

          By 1898, Tom and Mary Ann and their two daughters, and his mother-in-law, Elizabeth (O'Callaghan) Gibbons Quigley, and her two younger children, John and Lizzie, moved to Hamilton.  It appears that the marriage between Elizabeth and Patrick Quigley did not work out as he remained in London.  It is speculation as to whether the problems in the marriage or possibly an offer for Tom in a tailoring company in Hamilton spurned the family to move from London.  Hamilton, eventually became the home, of many of Mathew and Tom's descendants for years to come.  It was around this time also, that Thomas changed the spelling of "Minogue" to "Monogue".  Family tradition states that he had come to acquire the nickname "Mini" and thought that the new spelling and maybe the concurrent move to a new city would do away this.

        Tom and Mary Ann had a son, Thomas John (b. 08 Feb 1898), and three more daughters, Agnes May (b. 15 Jan 1900), Elizabeth Margaret (b. 16 April 1903), and Dorothy Cecelia (b. 21 Feb 1908).  Initially, they lived on "the mountain" in Hamilton, on Concession Street and at 12 Hamilton Street (by 1924).  Later, they moved "down the mountain" to Balmoral Street and later on to Kensington Street. 

c.1903 -Thomas, Agnes, Kathleen, Madeline, Tom Jr., Dorothy, Mary Ann Gibbons
Mary Gibbons and her Daughter, Dorothy Monogue, c1922


        Tom continued the tailoring trade upon arriving in Hamilton. He first worked at a large tailoring company on James Street, but eventually was able to open up his own shop on Concession Street. At some point however, he turned the shop into "Tom Monogue's Ice Cream Parlour". Granddaughter, Marlene Pryor, has a photograph of the sign for the shop. Grandson, Patrick Monogue, remembers large family gatherings at Concession Park where Tom would bring large tins of ice cream for everyone. Politically, Tom was a Conservative and was well known by many people in the government. It is possible that he had some influence in landing a post office job for his son, Tom, at the age of 19. As he aged and retired from his own business, he took a job with the Liquor Control Board store at Barton and Ottawa Streets. As the Conservative government went out of favor though, Tom lost his job here. Some family members feel this was quite demoralizing to him and that he never recovered from it emotionally.


         As his health deteriorated, probably from atherosclerosis or Alzheimer's, he became confused and it was difficult for Mary Ann to take care of him. Three of their daughters, Madeline, Agnes, and Dorothy were living with them but they had their own jobs during the day time. So for a while, he went to live with his son Tom and daughter-in-law, Catherine, who had trained as a nurse. He died a few weeks after he returned to his home at 63 Kensington Avenue North on the 2nd of February, 1943 at the age of 73. Sadly, Mary Ann's sister, Lizzie died on the same day - so she lost both her husband and sister on the same day. Tom was buried in Holy Sepluchre Catholic Cemetery in Section 1, Lot 125, Grave 1.

Mary Ann Gibbons Monogue, c1930s

Mary Ann and her three daughters and two grandchildren (children of Dorothy) soon moved to a house at 88 Gage Ave. South (picture taken in 2002). This was a house that would remain in the family for many years. Mary Ann lived here until she died 14 years later at St. Joseph's Hospital on May 5th, 1957 at the age of 88. The funeral was held at St. Ann's Church and she was buried beside her husband, Tom, in Holy Sepluchre Cemetery.

88 Gage Ave, Hamilton. (photo from 2002)


Written by Patricia Monogue Balkcom, great-grand daughter, December, 2008 with past research help by Al Pryor.